So one of my New Year’s resolutions was to include an experimental piece in every firing. So far, so good, The kiln has been busy preparing my work for Top Drawer this week and I have been busy trying to keep up with the making of a sudden influx of commissions which came in just before and after Christmas
but I found time to have a bit of a play as well – after all, the kiln was keeping me warm, it was cold outside and no-one would come with me whilst I was battling a nasty cold so it made sense.
I hate throwing waste clay away so I decided to clump some bits together and see if I could get some exciting contrasts within a piece. I think I managed that alright. That little line of red is what really does it for me.
And I think it sets off the more fragile porcelain rather well – time for a spot of R&D I feel, but not until I have found my way to the other side of the events next week at Olympia. I am quite pleased with what the kiln handed back to me so let’s hope it goes well.
Over the past few months I have waffled on a bit about a number of different sources from which I have received material to include in my vessels. This week, I have decided to give you all a rest from waffle and simply update you.
The material was given to me by the gas men working in the road outside our family home. I have begun using it and the results so far are great. I have only made small so far but will be going large any time soon hopefully in time for Handmade in Kew
Meanwhile, given that I cannot stick to anything for too long I decided that for the material brought to me from Ashtead Clay pit A Man Walks into a Studio and . . . I decided that I would change the design a bit and go all cylindrical. The finished pieces are great and I think there will be more of these too before I arrive in Kew Gardens.
So that’s it for a bit, folks. Next Sunday I leap on a plane and fly west for a few weeks. Vancouver, look out, I am on my way! I will blog again in October. Hope you can bear to get by without me.